Sunday, February 24, 2008

Yes, I Ate It. No, I Don't Know Why.

Sometimes I do really stupid things. I know that seems very unlike me. From everything I've written here, I'm a solid decision-maker. But every now and then I just do things or eat things that are questionable.


For instance, when I lived in Seattle, I found myself at my neighborhood grocery store. Not knowing what I wanted to buy, I wandered around. While in the fancy cheese section, I noticed a small container in the middle of the sea of cheese. Now, it didn't say that it was a sample, but I felt like it surely must have been. To the best of my knowledge, the QFC never gave out samples, but maybe they changed that. Maybe they DO give out samples, and this MUST have been one. Why not? Since I wasn't positive about the actual purpose of this container, I looked around to make sure no one was watching me. Opened it up, and popped a piece of crunchy, black speckled cheese (and yes, the appearance SHOULD have been a red flag, not to mention the smell and texture). As I quickly evacuated the section and rushed down the cereal aisle, the true flavor of the rotten cheese came through. It was nothing short of terrible. I didn't know what to do, so I just swallowed it and suffered through the self-induced nausea. I'm still not sure what it was, and I'm also not sure if it was actually a sample. If it was a sample, it's one that was there for about a decade. Nasty.


Another time I was cat-sitting, and my friends left out quite a bit of food for me. It was just after the holidays, so there was plenty of homemade candy and whatnot. One day I was there, and my co-cat sitter left me a note urging me to try the chocolate covered toffee. Not one to pass up a good treat, I opened the bag and noticed that the toffee was covered in white fuzz. Suspicious, yet still willing, I sniffed it and put it in my mouth. Do I need to tell you that it was totally disgusting? I spit out what I could, but still wanted to believe that the white fuzz was just a special kind of powdered sugar. That taste didn't leave my mouth for hours. The next time I went to check on the cat, I noticed that the toffee was gone and my co-cat sitter left me a note telling me that she tossed it out because it was moldy. Yes, I am that gross.


And the first place trophy goes to.... One year I went to a New Year's Party, and I just didn't know what I wanted to drink. While looking over the bar I noticed a small bottle of cranberry juice, so I decided to mix some sort of concoction with it. The juice was brown, smelled bad, and tasted worse. I mixed my drink, which was awful, and drank it. It took me awhile because it tasted so bad. Thinking that I chose the wrong mix of alcohol and juice, I added more cranberry juice to my next drink. Still disgusting. Other people tried it and agreed. I still drank it. Later on, I moved to something else, and ended the party in the bathroom. The next day I spent on the couch and in the bathroom. That night, I had dinner with the party hosts, and they told me a little story. One of my fellow party-goers opened up the cranberry juice (after I mixed my drinks) and informed the party host that the cranberry juice was rancid. Furthermore, the party host revealed to me that he found the cranberry juice in the back of his refrigerator and didn't remember buying it, so he thought it may have been in there for 3 or more years. And I drank it.


Gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment