Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Just A Few Words on Martha

Martha Stewart is such an awkward person.  I was watching her show while I ate my delectable lunch (a salad of my own design, followed up by a banana), and, as usual, I found myself dumbfounded and annoyed.  She's really strange.  Honestly, I'm not a Martha fan, but I can't stop watching her show (mostly because it comes on during my lunchtime).  So here are some of my observations.

For starters, I don't think she really likes her guests.  She seems to think she is better than them (even when they are the experts in their field).  Sometimes, it gets to the point where you can just feel the tension.  For instance, when Paula Dean is on (and I love Paula Dean.  She reminds me of my cousins from Georgia), Martha is utterly horrified by her to the extent that she tells her as much.  Paula was busy being messy, and Martha told her that she couldn't handle having Paula in her home.  Martha constantly corrects people in a very condescending way.  It's just odd.

I really think that she was forced into this show by her PR people.  Sure, they did a great job at making her over post-prison, but she's still a cold, cold woman.  She also laughs inappropriately.  It's kind of unsettling.  Today she was answering a viewer's question about preparing beans, and started laughing as she poorly delivered an unfunny joke.  It was really uncomfortable because she was the only one that thought she was funny.

A couple years ago, on her Halloween special, she was totally insane.  She crawled out on the set as if she were a cat, then started running around showing off everything on the set.  She was totally manic and really weird.  For weeks afterward, I kept looking for clips on the internet or The Soup.  There was nothing!  It was totally worthy of the The Soup.  Crazy.

Today she had a British kid named, Freddy, on the show.  He apparently stars in the Spiderwick Chronicles.  It became readily apparent that Ms. Stewart is not comfortable with children during his segment, in which they made some sort of cookie bar (that did look delicious).  She did not know how to talk to him at all...and he was 16.  So, it's not like he was an unruly five-years-old.  At one point she seemed shocked that he had read "Catcher in the Rye", then proceeded to awkwardly ask the audience who had read the book and command that everyone should do so.  As they were making the treats, Freddy was politely waiting for her instruction, and she couldn't have been colder.  She's really bossy.  At one point, they were spreading candy all over the dough, and he asked if he had spread it correctly.  Martha curtly replied, "No." and continued about her business.  Rude!  I just think there is a better way to handle that question.  It was innocent enough, and he was clearly intimidated by her.

No wonder her daughter is such a cold person.  Have you ever seen her on the show?  Yikes.  I'd hate to be stuck at a dinner table with her.  Talk about negative.

But anyway, I just find Martha Stewart to be an awkward, cold person.  She tries to be all warm and fuzzy.  But, ultimately, she seems like she'd just prefer to be on the stage alone.

Oh, AND...I get so annoyed when she gives household tips.  Once she demonstrated the 27-step procedure to cleaning windows and explained that her method was the ONLY acceptable method.  If you clean your windows in two steps, like me, you are a fool!  No one has that kind of time, Martha!

My last gripe...  While I understand that she uses the show as a vehicle to sell her many product lines, I find it irritating that she's CONSTANTLY plugging herself on the show.  "Now you'll just take a dab of the Martha Stewart craft glue, and firmly attach the Martha Stewart colored paper after you've cut it with your Martha Stewart scissors."  Enough already.  There are too many lemmings in this world.

Okay, I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment