Thursday, February 7, 2008

Personal Record

I ran a 10 minute mile today.  That has NEVER happened in the history of my life.  While this may not seem like much a feat to anyone that actually runs for fun, it truly is.  I am no runner, people.  Nope.  Not a runner.  Throughout my 31 years, I've made every effort not to run.  That's why I don't run marathons.  I don't like running for 1 mile, much less 26.  But tonight, I hit a milestone.  Admittedly, I was skeptical.  I mean, after last Saturday's bike ride, wouldn't anyone be?  Perhaps I bit off more than I can chew with this whole triathlon training.  But, apparently, the coach hasn't given up on me.  I admittedly thought he might (especially if he actually knows that I started crying on my bike), but he still thinks I could be an athlete--albeit, a slow one.

People who run don't understand those of us that don't.  It's funny really.  They have no problem running and talking.  Me, I can't really do both.  It's one or the other for me.  I keep trying to carry on a conversation (especially since people insist on talking to me while we do our warm-up run which feels like a balls-out run to me), but once we make it halfway around the track, I'm out.  Sometimes I wonder if people think I'm rude for bailing out.  But then I realize that they can see that in less than 30 seconds, I'm halfway behind them.  Not a runner.

So, tonight I ran 5 miles.  FIVE MILES.  Again, to people that run, that isn't such a big deal.  But I didn't walk during any of those 5 miles.  Okay, that's a lie, I did walk a little bit on two of my "recovery" jogs.  So we ran about 3 1/2 miles, and then at the end we had to run a "hard" mile.  I tried to bargain with the coach, making an empty promise to run a mile tomorrow morning, but he had none of it.  So I just did it...and I ran fast.  Well, I ran fast for me.  My pace is most people's "easy" pace.  Once I realized that I was running a 10 minute mile, I certainly didn't want to stop.  So I just kept going.  I DID IT!  Not only that, I ran the 1/2 mile "cool down" too.  Last time, I just pretended to do it.

It was very exciting.  Another girl was paired up with me because she was slower than the others, and she ran a personal best of 8 1/2 minutes.  Why she was paired with me is a total mystery.  That, and, how fast were the other people going?  Seriously.

It turned out to be a good night for me.  In the beginning I was skeptical.  Then I got out there and saw that there were a couple fat girls, and I felt totally relieved.  Well, I was relieved until I found out they were part of the boot camp and not the track practice.  So, I'm still the slowest one, but I'm nothing like I was when I started triathlons 3 years ago.  My beginning running pace was a 12 minute mile because I couldn't run a full loop around the track without walking.  See how far I've come?

Now I just have to start the swimming portion of my training.  I'd like to say that will be easy, but I'm not as good a swimmer as I have led myself to believe.  I grew up with a pool in my backyard, so it seems obvious to me that I'm an excellent swimmer.  My little floaties were deflated during my first timed open-water swim 3 years ago.  We had to do 6 laps in a lake, and the coach told us that we COULD do 4, but strongly encouraged 6.  I was one of the last 3 people in the water (and yes, the other two had 200 pounds on me).  I was convinced that everyone else just did 4 laps, until it happened again...and again...and again.  Apparently, hanging out in a pool everyday of the summer as a kid doesn't make you a competitive swimmer.  Weird.

But I'm not dwelling on that.  I have to get over that hurdle tomorrow.  You know, after I get all the hair ripped off my legs.  That's just the kind of girl I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment