Thursday, February 14, 2008

Techie Troubles

This nightmare is NEVER GOING TO END.  EVER!

My phone is on holiday in the city that doesn't sleep.  It's having a great time!  I'm starting to feel a little lonely without it.  Kind of.  On the one hand, I don't really care, but on the other hand...well, I still don't really care.  It's just strange being without a phone.  Nobody calls me, so it's not as though I'm missing out on anything really.

Anyway, let me tell you about today's chapter in the Blackberry that Won't Cooperate.

IT Guy called me today, and told me we needed to call Phonies customer service.  Luckily I just learned how to conference people two days ago, so I was on it!  The short story is that we were on the phone with Phonies for a half an hour and still didn't get a resolution.  The true point (and the funny part) of the story is that the Phonies customer service guy was an oddball.

I dialed Phonies and worked my way through the computer answering system, then we were put on hold for 15 minutes.  After jamming out to the smooth jazz that Phonies offers its holding customers, my guy, Howard (honestly, I don't remember his name, so we'll just go with this), answered the phone.  I didn't immediately tell him that IT guy was on the phone as well, mostly because he didn't give me a chance.  He discovered it when IT guy and I started chatting about something.  Howard interrupted us and told me that maybe I should call back once I have it figured it out.  Knowing that was a bad idea, I said no.  Here's how it all went down.

Howard: (semi-whispering) Okay, you may want to call me back or mute IT Guy because I need your password.
IT: I'll walk away from the phone.
H: Is this okay with you?
Me: (knowing that I can change my password easily enough) Yeah, that's fine.
H: (still whispering) Whenever you're ready
Me: 123456
H: (in his normal voice) Okay, that's 123456. (Inputting information.) 1-2-3-4-5-6.  Sounds like a birthday.  Is that a birthday?
Me: Uhhhh...
H: Is that your mother's birthday?
Me: No
H: Whose birthday is it?
Me: Uhhh...
H: Wow...it's yours.  Are you 50?
Me: It's not my birthday.
H: I know, I'm kidding.

Okay....what the hell?  At first, Howard seemed very concerned about my privacy.  He was so concerned that he whispered his concerns to me while on a speaker phone.  Then, he proceeds to loudly repeat my secret password TWICE.  But did he stop there?  No!  He then started quizzing me on what the number represents.

What an idiot!


I'm totally changing my password now.  It wasn't that good to begin with (and, for the record, it isn't my mom's or my birthday).

That's just one more thing to check on today.  The other thing is making sure that the thief who stole my doctor's cashbox doesn't start using my Healthcare credit card number for their doctor visits (which seems unlikely, but still!).

Stupid Phonies.


At the end of the phone call, Howard started talking shop with IT Guy (who totally wasn't having it).  He slowly ended the call, then hung around for a bit.  Thinking he was hanging up, IT Guy and I started chatting, then Howard jumped in and said, "Guys, I'm going to have to get off of this call now.  I can't chat anymore."  He hung up, then IT Guy said, "What was up with that guy?"

My thoughts exactly.


Again.  Stupid Phonies.

No comments:

Post a Comment