Monday, February 4, 2008

Kids Today: Mumblers

What's up with the mumbling?  I'll preface this by saying that I do realize there may be some socio-economic factors involved with mumbling.  However, doesn't anyone tell these kids that they could go much further in life through effective (read: understandable) communication?

Talking to a mumbler is like talking to Lassie.  What's that, girl?  Timmy's in trouble?  He fell in the river?  Let's go!

Today I was at the phone store, and my salesperson was a mumbler.  Not only that, he was texting throughout our entire transaction.  Don't get me wrong, he was a nice kid, but he could use a little customer service training.  Eye contact and clear speech goes a long way.  I have no idea what he said to me when I walked up and asked a question.  After translating it in my head, I managed to decipher that he told me I needed to call customer service.  But still, I shouldn't have to do that.  Also, even though I appreciate the fact that he just accepted my request to return my phone without putting up a fight, he would do better if he actually "sold" things.  I'm a salesperson, and I'm admittedly not pushy, but I get the job done.  I really worry about the mumblers.

The other recent mumbler was outside of Safeway.  Last December, I was running errands, feeling especially generous with my spare change, and these kids approached me about some sort of donation.  Now, I know that it was likely a scam.  But, I was in a generous mood, and I've been known to spend $2 on useless items (like the unsatisfying cookies at Starbucks).  So, even if they were going to spend my $2 on candy (because I'm going to assume they were fine, upstanding citizens), it wasn't a big loss for me.

On my way out of the store, I stopped to hear their spiel, and I was approached by....a mumbler.  Here's how it went:

Me: Hi, what are you guys raising money for?

Mumbler: mmmrrrrrrrmmmmrrrrmmmmrrrrmmmmrrrrmmmm

Me: Uhhh...so you're on the YMCA team?

Mumbler: mmmhhhhmmmmrrrmmm

Me: And you are raising money for uniforms, so you can compete in the regional tournament?

Mumbler: (silence)

Me: Okay, here's all I've got.  $2.

Mumbler: (looking upset while pocketing the cash)

Me: (pushing for a thank you) It's all I've got, but it's better than nothing.  Um, don't I need to sign off on your collection sheet, so you can keep track of the donations?

Mumbler: mmmmmrrrmmmm

And scene.

I really felt for the kid, regardless of the fact that he was probably scamming me.  How is he going to get anywhere in life if he mumbles?  Hasn't anyone tried to help him enunciate?  As a salesperson, I want to help people like this. 

Another instance occurred in a Wal-Mart parking lot.  I was getting out of my car, when a fellow selling bootlegged DVDs out of a shopping basket, called after me:

Fella: Ma'am, you don't need no DVDs, do ya?

Me: You're right.  I don't.

Class, how could you improve upon his sales pitch?  Perhaps he should have asked me if I wanted some DVDs?  In actuality, he just reminded me that I don't need any DVDs (nor did I need any of the other things that were being sold in the parking lot).  I feel like someone needs to offer some sort of guidance to the mumblers and bad salespeople (even if they are doing something less than legal).

I get more concerned for the future every day.

*sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment