Wednesday, February 20, 2008

And While I'm on the Topic of Laundry...

Let's take a walk down memory lane, shall we?  Let me dazzle you with my tales of being a laundromat menace.

The first tale is a story of it's own that must be told at a later time.  It's called, "8 Quarters".  It's a story of revolution at the Suds on 8th laudromat in Brooklyn, NY.  Since I only have the time it takes to dry my clothes, you'll have to enjoy my San Francisco laundry stories.

Laundry Tale 1: How I flooded the laundromat

A couple years ago, I was doing my laundry, just minding my own business when tragedy struck.  You see, I was new to this laundromat since the one closer to my house closed and became a bank/gym.  So, it was only my second or third visit.  I dutifully placed my clothes int he washer, closed the door, dumped in my laundry detergent, and sunk a few quarters into the machine.  Everything was going swimmingly until I noticed soapy water leaking out of the washer.  That leak became a waterfall in no time, and I had no choice but to disturb the laundry lady.  She came out and was none too pleased with me.  Apparently I was negligent and a sock got stuck in the door.  Whoops.  I kept pacing around offering to help and apologizing, but she wanted none of it.  She put a bucket next to the machine and told me to go away.  So, I did.  I took that time to get some food down the street.  When I returned, the water was mopped up and my clothes were clean...and the laundry lady wasn't smiling.  In fact, she hasn't smiled at me since.

Laundry Tale 2: Clumsy

This story is best told in person because there is quite a bit of physical comedy involved, so we'll see how well it translates to the written word.  One day I was heading over to the laundromat with my grandma cart, and everything was going just fine.  Well, everything except that I was wearing my oddly restrictive jeans (from this point forth, they will be known as "ORJ").  I don't know what it is about ORJ, but they limit my range of motion for no reason in particular (and yes, they are the correct size).  So, I was walking down the street, pushing my cart ahead of me when I got to the intersection in front of the laundromat.  Being that it was 5 o'clock on a Tuesday, there was a wee bit of traffic on the street.  I started into the crosswalk feeling good about the world, when tragedy struck.  The front wheel of my cart got caught in a pothole or train track (I've never deteremined which) and started falling forward.  Unable to stop my momentum, I started falling with it in slow motion.  I swear it took 45 seconds for me to hit the ground.  Now, when I say hit the ground, I mean that the grandma cart hit the ground and I fell on top of it.  So, there I was, in the middle of the crosswalk, surrounded by cars, laying on top of my cart.  Being that I was wearing ORJ and was in an odd position, I was unable to just move my  leg forward and stand up.  No.  Instead, I had to roll off of the cart and tumble onto the street.  Then, I was able to stand up.  It's never embarrassing to land like a cockroach in the middle of the street.  Ever.

Laundry Tale 3: Sudsy Jazz Hands

A few months ago, I had to do my laundry before a trip.  In true form, I waited until the very last minute, so I got to the laundromat two hours before it closed.  Lucky for me, there was a TV.  Once I started my laundry, I decided to turn on the TV and watch it.  Everything was going just fine.  I got in some Top Model, and then the TV stopped working.  I had nothing to do but wait.  In my boredom, I started singing to myself and dancing.  I attempted the Charleston complete with jazz hands and pushed myself through the aisle in one of the laundry carts.  After doing this for a solid 15 minutes, I noticed that I was dancing directly in front of the security camera.  Horrified and embarrassed (since I am persona non grata at the laundromat), I immediiately stopped mid-dance.  Two minutes later I started up again.  It was already recorded, after all (assuming there's actually tape in there).

And those are my tales of being a laundry menace.  Now that I've written them, I think they are best told as a one-woman-show.  So, until I get that up and running, don't expect to read them again anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment