Friday, January 11, 2008

The Universe is on my Side After All!

My oh my, what a morning I had!  This morning I had a "breakfast" meeting (which, much to my dismay, did not include breakfast), so I had to leave the house by *shudder* 8:30 in the MORNING.  After chatting on the phone with my coworker for a little too long, I rushed out of the house to catch the train.  Unfortunately, I realized that I only had a $5 bill, a $1 bill, and a dime.  This simply wouldn't do since the fare is $1.50 (and I'm just not willing to give them $5 for the ride).  Since the train was a couple blocks away, and I was going to be late if I didn't catch this one, I figured I'd just wing it.  The train rolled up (or slid, or skated, or did whatever it does on those rails), and I dutifully got into line.  Just before the doors opened, I noticed a quarter on the ground.  Lucky day, right?  I thought so...until a little old woman picked it up...and then she picked up a dime.  Apparently it was her lucky day.  The train doors opened, and I took a deep breath, knowing that this trip could go horribly wrong.  I was about to step on the train, when a woman got off the train and shoved her transfer in my hand, saying "Here, use this."

I didn't know what to say, so I just said, "Oh, okay."  Then, after I realized my good fortune, I attempted to say thank you, but she was gone (and I was in a crush of people boarding the train...and by "crush" I mean there were 3 of us).  How serendipitous that I needed forty cents for the train ride and that woman chose to grace me with a random act of kindness.

Thank you transfer lady!  I owe ya one!


PS.  Did I mention, that I was given a promotion at work today as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment