Thursday, January 17, 2008

You Can Call Me Tri-Ath-Lete

That's right, you heard me, I'm back on the scene.  Tonight was my first track workout (and yes, I do realize that makes me sound like I'm in high school, but if you knew me in high school, you'd know that I spent my time in band and drama so as to avoid any kind of physical fitness--boy has that paid off too!). 

What nuggets of wisdom did track practice give me?  Well...I'm still slow.  It doesn't matter how interesting I find the running conversation, if we're running, I can't last long (as was evidenced when I ended the warm-up conversation with "Can't....talk....too....fast...be...in....back...").  I also was reminded of what asthma feels like (because I may have pushed it a little too hard).  And, I'm a freakin' trooper.  Even though I was dead last every time (yet running at a faster pace than usual--10 min mile, baby!), I discovered that coming in last has a nice side effect--cheerleaders.  Everyone cheered me on.  I've never felt so popular--especially in gym class.

So, yay.  I'm a triathlete again.  And this time, I'm gonna wipe the floor with the elderly competitors....and the morbidly obese....and the one-legged boys.  I WILL OVERCOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment