Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Uh, oh... I Think I'm One of THOSE Girls...

I didn't see it coming.  Really.  I never thought it would get to this point, but it has.  Today, while I was sweating away on the elliptical trainer at the gym (okay, so I wasn't working THAT hard, but still...you gotta start somewhere), I noticed a fellow at the other end of the gym, and I proceeded to entertain myself throughout my workout (33 minutes total for those that were wondering) by gazing at him.  Now that's not so bad...but at one point, I caught myself looking for a wedding ring (of which there wasn't one), and I was quite delighted that I could glance over at various spots in the gym (thanks to the miracle of mirrors) and see him from different angles.  Then, all of a sudden, I started planning our future together.  He'd notice me while I was mouthing the words to a Quicksand song (because I AM that girl--not the crazy lady that actually sings and shouts at the gym, but an animated lip-syncher), and, finding that endearing, would ask me out, and then we'd hit the town.  It was going to be fantastic! 

As I suspected, he started his workout around the same I did mine, so when I noticed him getting off the treadmill, I started planning my "move".  What move would that be?  Well, I finished up my final 30 seconds of sweatin' to the oldies (or to whatever was playing on my iPod, which I think was Starsailor actually), quickly got some water and wandered over to the "stretching" corner of the gym.  I strategically stretched next to him (well, actually, I let him have his space, but I was next to his belongings), and then as I was bent over showing off my superior flexibility...he left.  I think this love affair may last forever, cuz I've totally got game.

When did it come to this?  At what point did I decide it was okay to stalk someone with my eyes at the gym (while pretending I was merely watching the snowboarding video on the monitor above him--which, in my defense, I was watching occasionally)?  And how did I think that was going to turn out?  I mean really...I, for one, don't look my best at the gym, and I may be THE WORST flirter in the world, since I attempt to flirt by situating myself near the mark with nary a word or glance.  But I digress...

Oh well, it passed the time, and maybe will motivate me to keep going to the gym; however, should anyone talk me up at the gym while I'm all sweaty and gross, I probably won't be receptive (based on one instance where a guy started chatting me up at 6am...come on!!).  Word to the wise, if you see me emerge from my mole hole and hit the gym (and you want to talk to me) wait until I emerge all sparkly and clean from the locker room.  I am much more amiable when I smell nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment