Thursday, January 24, 2008

Who Needs Cable When You've Got Gems TV?

I'd like to take a moment to tell everyone about the most compelling program on television today:  Gems TV.

You can watch this every single day for several hours.  I don't know the exact running time, but I believe it is on daily from 10am until 6pm.

What will happen when I tune into Gems TV, you ask?  Well, let me know tell you.

You will be transported to a world of unimaginable beauty.  This isn't just home shopping, this is a bizarre game filled with gaudy jewelry.  I can't tell you how much I've learned about gemstones since tuning into Gems TV.  Nor, can I even begin to express the pizazz of the various hosts.  I admittedly have my favorites.  The British lady is the best (and totally deserves a fan club).  She is always astounded by the dropping prices and implores the viewers to buy, buy, buy.  She tells everyone how smart they are for buying at these CRAZY bargain basement prices.  It's just amazing.  The men all wear tuxedos, and they have a segment called, "Ladies Night". 

This is compelling television.  Inexplicably, compelling television. 

I first started watching Gems TV when I happened upon it and just didn't understand what the whole game was about.  Basically, they have this reverse auction, so take, for instance, they are selling a AAA Tanzanite ring (of which you would be a FOOL to pass up because these are getting very rare, and the value will only go up, and they can only be found in one section of one mine, and they are beyond beautiful assuming you find beauty in ring pops).  The ring has a starting price of $145,350.  There are 2 rings available (because when it's this precious, they just don't have many).  The host then tells you, "Let's play the game".  And this tense music starts playing, and a visual comes up that says the same thing.  The price starts dropping slowly, and then...out of nowhere, the price disappears and comes back at $536.  They keep telling people to call in and make their decisions.  Callers have to push the number 1 on their phone.  Then, the price keeps dropping incrementally until both are sold and both buyers pay the same low price of $473.  It is so very exciting.  I can watch it endlessly.  In fact, since the games keep coming, I'm able to flip around and come back to Gems TV.  There's always something new.

There's also an older lady on there that gets really excited about stacking rings.  She LOVES to stack, and she'll tell you all about it.  She will stack 12 rings on her finger and tell you how amazing it looks.  Everyone should stack.

I don't need cable.  I used to consider Univision to be my cable substitute because they show movies, and I've watched the Blue Lagoon a couple of times.  That's the perfect dubbed-over movie because there's hardly any dialogue.  One day, I hope ot watch Castaway on Univison.  But I have to admit, I wanted additional programming (aside from the Desi TV that's on Saturday mornings where I get to watch the hottest Indian videos of today or Russia Today where I get to find out the haps in the mother land), and Gems TV totally delivered. 

Oh, and don't think I don't know what you're thinking (and will eventually say to me).  I know you think I should get cable, but when someone watches as much useless free television as I do, do they really need the extra incentive of paying cash-money for more useless programming?

I think not.

Yay Gems TV!

No comments:

Post a Comment