Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Iced Tea Trickery

Today I went into a little coffee shop for some iced tea.  I've been there countless times, and their iced tea is always delicious.  Today was a disappointing exception.

I ordered my iced tea AND a cookie (which, once I ate it hours later, was terrible).  After waiting for quite some time for them to pour my iced tea, the new owner (who is quite surly) informed me that he didn't have a to-go cup for the tea, so he was going to refund me in a just a few minutes.  I was dying of thirst, so I told him I'd happily drink the tea in a regular glass.  I wasn't in a big rush.  Then, he decided to put the tea in a to-go coffee cup.

After pouring, he slapped the cup on the counter and told me that there was enough room for cream.  Who puts cream in their iced tea?  I walked over to get a lid, then took a sip and was horrified to discover that he gave me some sort of Thai iced tea.  Blech!  It was powdered tea with sweetened condensed milk.  That is no thirst-quencher, my friends.  That is just plain nasty (unless you ordered it with pad thai, in which case, it's appropriate).

I wanted regular tea with a hint of passion fruit.  There is no reason for them NOT to serve that when they boast a couple dozen kinds of tea.

Gross.

I'm may never go back there...especially since their fancy grilled cheese sandwich was sub-par the last time I ordered it.  Hmph!

Their only saving grace was that they were playing my favorite Stone Roses song while I waited.  But that's not enough!  My thirst was not quenched.

And yes, I could have asked for different tea, but the owner/barista was such a jerk, I didn't want to bother....and I had somewhere to be after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment