Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Train! The Train!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...  This is, by far, the best travel experience I've ever had.  Take tonight for example.  We boarded a train in Bangkok headed for Southern Thailand and within the first hour of our trip managed to make friends with everyone in our car from our fellow passengers to the train staff.

Diane and I discussed our shared inability to befriend strangers a couple weeks ago.  No one ever talks to me.  Seriously.  I once sat at a bar for 5 hours and even the bartender wouldn't make conversation with me. As nice and friendly as people seem to think I am, it isn't enough for anyone to feel any desire to approach me or even consider a chat when I'm alone in public.  But I think I might have turned a corner tonight.

It all started with a couple of French guys.  They were having trouble setting up their table.  Since I had watched our train attendant (who happened to be a ladyboy, which pretty much meant that we'd be friends), I offered to give them a hand.  After that little bit of interaction, my soon-to-be French friends occasionally made conversation with us.

But really, what got the ball rolling was our ladyboy attendant.  When asked his name, he simply said, "Tonight, I'm Frank."  And from that point forward, we were besties.  Having just left the train with a Disco Car, I inquired about it with Frank.  He sadly informed me that this train didn't have one, but confided in my that not only was there a secret party...but that I was definitely on the list (and yes, I realize how creepy that sounds, but it was pure innocence).

Diane and I pulled out the dominoes I bought on our 45 minute sojourn to Laos and started playing (and to all my Texans out there, I attempted to get everyone into 42, but I was met with fierce resistance, so we just played straight dominoes...and I also couldn't get anyone on board with the correct scoring marks, but I still managed to teach them the value of a point-system).

We played a couple rounds, and occasionally Frank would walk by and check on the hot domino action, when finally he asked, "Is it okay if I join?"  We acquiesced, and he squeezed his way into the seat next to Diane (which was really only big enough for one person, but he had no qualms about personal space).  He quickly got into the groove of the game (though I admittedly waived a couple rules for the sake of the game), until he was called away by his work.

We took a quick break, and I found myself over at with the French guys where they were playing a game with the New Zealander.  I joined in that game for awhile, then Frank sauntered over and insisted on playing as well.  Much like he had done with Diane, he squeezed himself into the seat next to one of the French guys who had a look of utter horror on his face.  We played for awhile, then the train's military cop walked over and Frank started chatting with him.  I was certain that Frank was in trouble for playing games and not working, but as it turned out, the military cop was his brother and wanted to watch us play the game in hopes of joining in as well, leading me to wonder...does anyone work on this train?

After a few rounds, we all took a quick break and had a dance party at the request of Frank who only wanted to listen to Kylie Minogue or Madonna.  Once the dance party was complete, we started playing card games.  As the night wore on, everyone in our section of the car was joining in the games whether they were passengers or staff.  I never managed to find the secret party, but I kind of think it was happening in our car.  It was so much fun and so completely unbelievable for me, a girl who never talks to strangers.

And that's just how this trip keeps going.  I'm making friends.  One lady boy at a time.  And the (straight and married to French women who were absent from this holiday) French guys...well, they seemed genuinely disappointed that we weren't going to join them at the Full Moon Party in Ko Samui.  I am becoming the traveler I always wanted to be.

I AM the popular table.  Take that seventh grade!

No comments:

Post a Comment