Saturday, January 23, 2010

Ah Bangkok, I Almost Forgot How You Smelled

Returning to Bangkok after two weeks in Northern Thailand felt a little like a homecoming.  As our taxi rolled over to Banglamphu from the train station, I couldn't help but feel that comforting sense of familiarity that you get when you come home (or in my case, when you go anywhere that you've lived (and enjoyed living in) at some point during your life).

The traffic.  The people.  And of course, the smells.  Bangkok has that special mix of odors that no other city has mastered (and I've been to many stinky places).  It's that magical combination of open sewage, fried food, spices, body odor, alcohol, trash, vomit, and in the case of this morning after the streets were cleaned, wet dog.

What can I say?  It's nice to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment