Saturday, January 9, 2010

Zen Master

Yesterday was my first day in Thailand, and I discovered something about myself. I have grown as a person. Oh yes, The ants are no longer in my pants. That's right people, I didn't get all agitated when I boarded a random bus headed for who knows where. I just went with it.

And that's so not me.

In my former life, I would have chosen NOT to get on any bus. And if I had gotten on the bus, I would have outwardly panicked throughout the entire drive, flipping through my book, frantically searching for a map to somehow make things better. But not this time.

I left my hotel and got into the hotel's car. He asked me which terminal I was going to (since he was taking me back to the airport). I told him I wasn't sure and explained that I was taking the bus to the city.

"Then why are you going to the airport? You should go to the bus terminal."

I shrugged. "Okay. That works too."

So he drove me past the airport to the bus terminal, the whole time inquiring as to why I would choose to take the bus instead of the cab. My answer (which I realize may have befuddled him considering the income disparity between our two nations) was simply that it was cheaper...and because it would be an adventure.

He dropped me at the bus terminal and directed me to the back. I was looking for bus # AE2. I didn't find AE2, rather, I was directed to bus #556. I boarded the bus that was filled with Thai people and a Norwegian couple. The bus pulled out of the space, and the attendant came through collecting our money. I handed him 150 baht (the equivalent of about $5), and he gave me a puzzled look. He motioned to the Norwegian couple and asked, "For everyone?"

"No, just me." I replied.

He then handed me back all but 13 Baht (the equivalent of a quarter). It was then that I first suspected I might be on the wrong bus. According to my guidebook, the bus cost 150 baht, so had I found myself on public transit? And, even though it said Khao San Road, where exactly was it taking me? I considered these questions and looked down at my bag wondering if it might be wise to take out my book. After a good 15 seconds of semi-serious thought, I opted to look out the window and check out the Thai landscape.

As we hurdled down the highway into Bangkok, I looked over at the traffic. We came to a crawl, when I noticed the bus next to us--the airport bus...bus # AE2. It was filled with white folk. I laughed a little in my head. That was my bus. But my bus appeared to be going in the same general direction, so I decided to let the gods of travel take it from there. We drove into the city, and I made note of passing the Democracy Monument (which I knew was relatively close to the part of town in which I was to stay). The bus made its first stop (which lasted a total of 5 seconds, making me realize you have to know when to get off and make a break for it).

After a few stops, we came to yet another and the attendant walked over to me, saying, "This is you. Khao San Road." I thanked him and exited the bus. Still having no clue where I was, but not wanting to stop in the middle of the crowd to figure it out, I walked down the street for a few blocks until I found a clearing where I pulled out my book. After a quick survey of the map and my current position, I saw that I stopped at the exact spot where I needed to cross the street. As I made this glorious realization, a friendly Thai man asked if I needed assistance and directed me to my street.

It took one block before I knew I was going the right way. How did I know? White people. Hundreds of them. I wandered down Khao San Road which is a spectacle at all times of day, though especially at night (think Mardi Gras or what Halloween in the Castro used to be like--minus the stabbings). As I wandered, I came across a large, angry American who had just been swindled out of 500 baht when he followed a man into a back alley hoping to have his fortune told. The man made a spectacle of himself, yelling about his lost money, pounding his chest, and posturing as a gorilla might.

I quickly did the math in my head and felt little sympathy for the galump. It was just 20 bucks, and while it is a damn shame that he was bamboozled, it was his own fault. And besides, I was cheated out of 400 bucks in China, so I really have no sympathy.

I finally passed them and made it to my hotel, and once I did, I felt nothing but pride. I never lost my temper (which has happened in the past), and I just trusted that I would find my way. And I did.

Zen found.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, Grasshopper, you have learned to travel not only in body but in a spirit moving toward enlightenment.

    Or something like that.

    ReplyDelete