Saturday, January 30, 2010

Another Day on the Beach (Or Why Do Unattractive People Sunbathe Topless?)

Well, we made it to the beach.  After a few relaxing and delightful days staying in a treehouse bungalow in Khao Sok National Park (where I encountered monkeys who showed zero interest in my outfit), we piled into a VIP bus complete with the option of karaoke (though we opted to watch the third installment of the Mummy series) and drove to Ao Nang (which, according to Lonely Planet is the armpit of Thailand, but will be my home base for the next week).  It's a lovely beach (despite what Lonely Planet or the Dutch girl and the New Zealander said) and the water is so shallow that you can walk for at least a half a mile during low tide without ever getting the water past your knee.  The town is...well, a bit over-run by tourists (as this is a major transportation hub for people going out to the island, Phuket, and other Andaman sea destinations).

We spent our day wandering around, having coffee in tattoo parlors and crying over our food (okay, so I was the only one crying and eating, but it was just so darn spicy!).  As I ate through my tears, I noticed a group of kids working on an English project.  Basically, they had a list of conversational questions to ask people in English.  Being the natural helper that I am, I wanted to be interviewed.  So, we finished up our food.  I wiped my tears and approached the shy girl.  Immediately we were swarmed with kids, listening to our answers and asking us questions.  They were very sweet, and we were suddenly rock stars.  After quite awhile we managed to excuse ourselves and walk away.  A half an hour later, they spotted us walking on the beach and came running down looking for autographs.  Rock stars indeed.

And that was our day.  We saw some unfortunate nudity (which, for the record, is illegal in Thailand) and then went to Reileh Beach where I got to check out the princess cave...oh, and I also watched a beautiful sunset whilst eating corn-on-the-cob.

Once the sun went down, the full moon rose...and the fun was only just beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment