Friday, January 8, 2010

Tourist Fashion

Ah, travel. It brings out the worst in people's fashion choices. In the short time I've been leading tours, I've witnessed these bad choices. For whatever reason, people choose to wear clothes on vacation that they would never (and should never) wear in public when they are close to home. I'm talking people wearing ripped up jeans and nasty, falling-apart t-shirts. Shirts with ridiculous slogans on them that they got for free at a fast food restaurant opening. It's appalling. They're still IN public. Just because they don't know anyone in the place they are doesn't mean they're suddenly invisible.

Often I find myself making fun of these people in my head. And now...I'm one of them. What is my faux pas? Crocs. I bought a pair of crocs specifically for my trip to China a couple years ago. I only wore them in China, and they've been in my closet ever since. Now that I'm en route to Thailand, what am I wearing? Crocs.

So it seems that I'm no better than anyone else. Though, the nice thing (or interesting thing) about wearing Crocs on a long plane ride is that you get to see how much your feet swell. I'm already through the 12 hour plane ride to Korea, and I'm about to board my 6 hour flight to Bangkok. I would put money down that my Crocs will be very snug by the time I land, and as I walk into my hotel, it will be like I'm walking on pillows.

Ah, travel fashion!

No comments:

Post a Comment