Friday, January 22, 2010

Won't You Take Me To...The Disco Car?

Those Thais are clever, and man do they know how to compromise! 


We took the overnight train from Chiang Mai to Bangkok and were introduced to...the Disco Car.  Yes, after years of foreigners drinking and carousing on the train until late into the night, bothering the locals who were trying to sleep, the train came up with a plan.  Add a Disco Car.  On this particular train, there is one car reserved for drunken revelry, complete with flashing lights, bartender, and DJ.  When the Disco Car was introduced, it was open all night long, but that proved to be a problem as drunken foreigners loudly stumbled through the cars, disturbing the sleeping set as they tried to remember where their beds were.  In an answer to this, the Disco Car now closes at 11pm.  And boy is that Disco Car popular.  I would have spent time in the Disco Car if I hadn't been so content in my own car, but it was quite a sight to behold--filled wall to wall with loud, drunk French people.  It was like walking into a dive bar, where everyone was a local, and they all liked to sing. 


Simply brilliant. 


And something that should DEFINITELY be incorporated onto the McKinley Explorer trains in Alaska.  I'd have so much more fun standing around in the Disco Car rather than standing around in the bathroom during my "me" time on the 8-hour ride (and just to give a little insight into my life and habits, the bathroom is always my go-to place for "me" time, at work, at a bar, at the mall, anywhere.  Seriously.  I used to nap in the bathroom at work (though that shouldn't be any reason why someone wouldn't want to hire me...in case any potential employers are trolling the interweb for reasons NOT to call me in for an interview), but that's a tale for later).

No comments:

Post a Comment