Saturday, February 13, 2010

Tubing in the Vang Vieng

Oh Vang Vieng, I had you all wrong! My first impression was such a bad one (but can you really blame me?). Today was fantastic! Tubing in a cave? Driving through the beautiful countryside! Kayaking down the river with limestone mountains surrounding us. It was magic.

And the tubing bars? So much fun. Sure I kayaked over, but I see the appeal. Hanging out on the river at the make-shift bar of your choice? Hard to beat. Add to the zip-line swings operated by 8-year-old boys, and you’ve got a blast on your hands. Yes, I was fully aware that two 8-year-olds were in charge of my safety, and yes, I did feel a little leery of it. But it all worked out. I’m alive. Besides, it not like I went on the death slide. You have to draw the line somewhere.

Anyway, I just wanted to say, I’m sorry. I had you all wrong. Well, not completely. You have to admit that there are a bunch of douchebags here, and they all seem to be Americans—specifically the a-holes that annoyed everyone in the Friends bar tonight as they loudly questioned where they could find some weed, discussed the assets of all the girls they planned to poke tonight, and complained about all the food they ordered, as well as the quality of the waitstaff…but that’s not your fault.

I guess I'm just trying to say...Vang Vieng, you're alright with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment