Tuesday, February 16, 2010

And Bangkok, I'll Never Forget How You Smell

Well, today is my last day in Thailand. When I woke up this morning, it didn't seem like such a big deal, but now that I'm a thte airport trying to spend the last of my baht I misguidedly exchanged hoping to buy one last article of clothing, I'm a little sad. I could stay here. In fact, there was a moment when I thought I might blow off my flight.

The majority of my day was pretty run-of-the-mill last day material--mani/pedi, leg waxing, massage. The usual. Then I made the fatal error of exchanging $10 with the intent to buy a shirt. Unfortunately for me, said shirt didn't fit. Even after six weeks in SE Asia, I am still too big for the one size fits all clothing they sell on the street.

Having failed that mission, I had no choice but to spend my 400 baht at a bar. While at the bar, I made a new British friend (who happened to live in the south of France). We were having such a good time that I could have come close to missing my bus to the airport. Alas, my sense of responsibility came out for a visit, and I left. Too bad for me, the bus, which was actually a shuttle, did not share my sense of responsibility. Not only was it late, but it was overbooked. What could have been a disaster, ended up being a stroke of luck for me a couple Japanese guys.

While eighteen smelly travelers squeezed into the van with all of their luggage, the two Japanese guys and I luxuriated in an air-conditioned taxi. As we drove down the highway, we passed the van and congratulated ourselves on being so lucky, for to say the van looked uncomfortable would have been an understatement. We chatted all the way to the airport having quickly made friends with each other, making me feel, once again, that this past six weeks has been my best travel experience yet.

Once at the airport, we parted ways, I changed clothes, checked in and found a place to spend the rest of my baht. My airport dinner made me cry, just like every other meal I had in Thailand (because of my insistence on eating spicy food, not because I blubber every time I eat), making it a fitting end to a wonderful trip.

Farewell Thailand!

And, Bangkok, I'll always remember how you smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment