Friday, March 19, 2010

For All You Texans...

Yesterday I led a wine tour, and I was on fire (especially after being a such a dud on my Tuesday wine tour--my first wine tour in a year).  The people on my tour were very nice, and there were several Texans.  I don't know what's going on around here, but the Texans are definitely invading.  No joke, 50% of my guests were from Texas--both days.  And, being that I come from a long line of proud Texans, despite my Oklahoma upbringing, I found this little story amusing.

One of the Texan couples on my tour were newlyweds from Austin.  Well, I should say that he was from Austin, and she grew up in Vegas.  So, she was new to Texas (and marvels at the state pride instilled in all Texans).  They recently married and decided to move to Austin where she is a math teacher.  Occasionally she likes to share a little bit about her home state, so she told them about Nevada Day.  Apparently, Nevada has a state-specific holiday on October 31, where school is out in honor of...wait for it...Nevada Day.

Last fall, she told her students that this was the first time she had ever been in school on October 31 because where she was from they celebrated Nevada Day, to which she got this response:

Kid #1: That's not fair!  We don't get Texas Day!
Kid #2: (Without skipping a beat.)  That's because EVERY day is Texas Day.
(Roll to a classroom of cheering kids.)

So, happy Texas Day, my dear Texas family.  Stay proud.

1 comment:

  1. That's hilarious! We call Nevada Day "Halloween" in Texas.

    ReplyDelete