Friday, March 7, 2008

There's a Mime in the Room

Why is it that the first person you meet (whether it be summer camp, new job, random class, vacation) ALWAYS turns out be a freak? Does this happen to everyone, or is it just me?


Summer camp - 7th grade. First day I meet Brandy. She seems nice. A little weird, but nice. She didn't know anybody, so she glommed onto my church group (which consisted of a bunch of girls that I didn't really know and who were way cooler than me and made sure that I was aware of that fact). By day 2, Brandy started showing off her inner freak. The other girls in my cabin decided they hated her...and because I was associated with her, they hated me too. Later Brandy went on to make other friends. I was stuck with a bunch of people that thought I was a nerd.


Work. My first job out of college was as a bookkeeping assistant. My boss was an annoying, fat, complainer. Everyone in the company hated her. She forced me to be her best friend. Because we were in an office 3 floors away from everyone else in the company, I had no choice but to exclusively socialize with her. The other girls in the office snubbed me because they didn't like my boss.


Vacation. Last summer I went to China. I spotted a woman in the lobby of the hotel when it was time to meet our group. I knew she was with us. Immediately she started talking and seemed nice enough...but after about 30 minutes I knew she'd be a freak. I wasn't wrong. She was in the circus field, though, at the time, she was unemployed. Having lived through the hell of being associated with the freak, I did my best to distance myself. Luckily it worked. 


Class. Right now I'm taking a class. On my first day, I was paired up with a guy who was around my age. He seemed pretty nice, full of energy, funny...you know...cool. We had to interview each other, and he told me that he was an actor. In the conversation, he said that his parents were starting to worry that he didn't have a real job. I laughed and reassured him that most people on the west coast don't have real jobs. He said, "But I'm 36." I still didn't think it was that big of a deal. Then, I asked him what kind of acting he did...and he told me he was in a street performance troupe that specialized in.............MIME. I knew I was in trouble. the next day, he was slightly annoying, but not bad. He likes to speak up and ask stupid questions in class just to turn people's attention to him, and he laughs loudly at somewhat inappropriate times. Even when a joke is told, he laughs loudly without any sincerity. Day 3, we were on a bus, and, in between naps, he would pester people around him. Basically, he's a total freak, and has found a fast friend in a loud 20-year-old girl who acts like she's 12.


Why?!

No comments:

Post a Comment