Sunday, May 10, 2009

You Can’t Stop the “Walk”

Oh Canada!  Blah blah blah blah blah blah….

Yup, you guessed it!  I’m in Canadia!  We’ve been journeying through the Yukon Territory for the past couple of days, and while I’ve taken in the sights, I’ve also taken in a load of information (some of which I may have napped through).  The one topic I did not sleep through was…. (drum roll please) … THE NOROVIRUS!

Yay!

Hey kids, did you know that I have a 60% chance of catching it while I’m up here in Alaska?  I didn’t.  I was blissfully unaware.  Here I thought you had to be on a cruise ship to catch such a thing, but I suppose if you are traveling around in a bus with people who have been (or are going to be) on a cruise ship, it’s pretty likely that this nasty little virus might drop into your intestinal tract to say hello.

Wanna know what it does?  Well, I’ll give you the short version.  It’s bad.  Really bad.  Think projectile vomiting and explosive diarrhea AT THE SAME TIME!  And think of it on a motor coach…and just imagine if 10 other people on the motor coach have it at the same time?!  Doesn’t that sound awesome?!

Once you get it, you’re screwed.  There’s nothing you can do.  AND…you have to be quarantined for 72 hours.  I so hope this won’t happen to me.  All I wanted to do was wash my hands in bleach…repeatedly.

I know what you want to know.  Isn’t there a way to avoid the virus?  Why, yes, there is!  Constant hand washing.  In fact, you may as well wear disposable gloves everywhere you go because this virus hangs out everywhere.  We got a stern lecture on buffet lines, as in, never go to a buffet because it’s a disaster waiting to happen.  Those utensils are like a cess pool of disease.

So guess what we had for dinner?

Buffet.

And guess what we’re doing tomorrow night?

Drinking shots of whiskey with a severed human toe in the glass.

You’ll have to stay tuned for that action.

3 comments:

  1. My cousin Paul had the Norovirus - on the Carnival Cruise ship a couple years ago. He was a pretty sorry site. He threw up all over the ground while strapped into his zip line harness. That made him really popular with all the other hundreds of people around. They all (including US!) thought he was just hungover.

    We have this theory though - that "Noro" is just the code name for buffet line food poisoning.

    Good luck, and Happy Purelling!

    xoxoxo
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so gross! I've heard tons of stories of people getting off the bus and vomiting all over the person standing next to them. And stories of little old ladies' Depends being put to use when the coach was too far from a bathroom.

    ReplyDelete