Monday, June 23, 2008

Maybe I DO Belong on the Short Bus

Okay, so I'm pretty open about all of the bad choices I make in regards to food--especially suspicious food that I find in random places, and you'd think that given all of the experience I have acquired through trial and error, that I wouldn't consider eating something that seemed odd or unusual...but you'd be wrong.

Yesterday I took a quick trip to the grocery store because I decided that I needed to start making my own lunch instead of relying on a diet of bread, cheese, and cake. It's doing nothing for my figure, nor is my lack of exercise, but we'll get to that later. I jumped back on the healthy train and it's full steam ahead!

Or is it?

Okay, on with the show... I went to the grocery store to purchase some sandwich fixings to add to the fruit I purchased the day before. I gathered up the bread, turkey, and lettuce. Then I wandered over to the tomatoes. To be honest, I'm not sure if we can eat tomatoes, but I've always thrown caution to the wind in regard to food poisoning. And, well, I teased some random guy at the store the day before for buying 10 pounds of tomatoes. If he was willing to celebrate the end of an epidemic, I was too.

I sorted through the tomatoes and selected a couple, when something caught my eye. There was a plastic carton with a few "food" items in it. It wasn't even half-full, nor was it marked to indicate what was inside. My first instinct was to assume it was candy. My second instinct was to want to eat it. And my third instinct was to believe that it was a free sample. I quickly looked around the produce section (which was packed), trying to determine whether or not I could partake in this curious free sample that was randomly placed in the middle of the tomatoes, was unmarked, and of mysterious origin.

As I reached for the lid, I suddenly remembered that dreadful day at the QFC in Seattle when I ate something that I determined to be a free sample in the middle of the cheese section, and it turned out to be something rancid. Reluctantly, I put my hand down and quickly walked away so as to avoid any temptation. In all honesty, if the place wasn't so crowded I probably would loitered by the bananas until I saw a clearing, then would have tried a bite, and if history holds, I definitely would have regretted it.

What's wrong with me? And what was it anyway? Maybe I'll drop by today to see if it's still there.

No comments:

Post a Comment